Keywords: climate change, climate change entrepreneurship, biophysical and socio-economic stressors, undermine earth’s capacity
There is narrowing scope for entrepreneurial action as the biophysical and socio-economic stressors reduce Earth’s resilience and our collective capacity to help the planet recover. We are talking about ‘climate change entrepreneurship’.For centuries, entrepreneurs have acted with impunity to plunder the biosphere without returning value to it. They must now learn not to undermine Earth’s capacity to meet present and future needs of humanity.
Why does the earth matter to entrepreneurs?
There’s no avoiding it. Our planet is suffering in many ways:
- Climate change due to the increase in green-house gases
- Fluorocarbons depleting the ozone layer
- Acid rain and air pollutants
- Shortages of fresh-water resources
- Overfishing, habitat destruction and pollution in the marine environment
- Crop loss and grazing depletion due to desertification and erosion
- Cutting down the world’s tropical forests, leading to erosion and flooding
- Mass extinction of species and the associated loss of genetic resources
- Threats to human health from exposures to chemicals in production processes, products, consumption activities
- Rapid population growth and migration, burgeoning mega-cities, and ecological refugees